Saturday, August 23, 2014

August is coming to an end!

Wow, it's hard to believe that August has nearly come and gone!  This week Dave went back to work full time and I have had the opportunity to stay home with James more this week, making me one happy momma!  I didn't realize how much I missed our days together and I was so thankful to have them back! 

James began speech therapy in our home this week.  The speech and language pathologist gave us a lot of things to work on with James and we began as soon as she left.  Today I saw James use one of the three signs we have been working VERY hard on and I couldn't help but smile.  He is such a determined little boy and is willing to learn new things. 

James and I had the opportunity to go to a going away play date for friends of ours that are moving out of state.  We went to a park that we hadn't been to at all this summer and were reminded how much we love the park.  The park was handicapped accessible and James LOVED running down the ramp with his walker.  My heart was so happy to see him enjoying himself and playing like the other kids at the park.  His giggle as he ran down the ramp with his walker was contagious, it brought tears to my eyes.  I desperately tried to capture it on video but he was just too speedy for me!  Needless to say we fell in love with the park and will be going there again very soon for him!

I found myself having a "poor me" moment this week.  James was invited to a birthday party for some friends at which there is going to be a bounce house for the kids to play in.  I explained to the hostess that we would attend if it rained and the kids weren't in the bounce house because that is not something James can participate in.  She stated that she understood but the other part of me wanted to yell, 'you have no idea what it's like so don't pretend!'  The hostess informed me there would be other outdoor toys to play with but as a mom I couldn't do it...all the other kids will be enjoying themselves in the bounce house and he'll be stuck in the sandbox?!  That doesn't seem fair.  I want James to experience as much as possible and to not limit him or keep him from activities, at the same time I don't want to take him somewhere where I know he won't be able to participate in the main activity that is being offered.  Never do I want my son to feel excluded and I do my best to make sure he will never feel that way.  It's hard...don't get me wrong.  I am just a mom of a special little boy who is doing her best to make sure he has a "normal" toddlerhood and gets to enjoy everything that a 2 year old should.  It's inevitable, there will be things he won't be able to physically do but thankfully I am able to filter out those activities for him.  When something comes up that he is unable to participate in I try my best to make sure we have another fun activity lined up to take its place.  I am hopeful this is temporary and soon James will be able to do everything that his peers can do with no hesitation...until then all we can do is our best to ensure he doesn't feel excluded or different from anyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment