Friday, August 29, 2014

Some days are better than others

It's hard to believe that Labor Day weekend is here and it is the last official weekend of summer.  I'm not ready for fall, although with the crazy weather we've had this summer we have had a taste of fall quite a few times since July. 

Two friends in two days told me that they were pregnant.  I did my best to put on my happy face and say "congratulations, I'm so happy for you!" when inside I was truly aching.  It's not a fertility issue for us, it's the reality that we have a toddler who has more needs than your average toddler; making it much more difficult to think about expanding our family now or ever.  I was instantly angry and bitter, thinking to myself, "it must be nice to have kids with no extra needs so you can just keep reproducing."  Needless to say some days are better than others...but I certainly don't ask for sympathy from anyone.  I am honored to be James' momma and all the responsibilities that come along with that title. 

This week brought a first for James--his first trip to Lake Michigan.  He enjoyed the beach and standing with his toys in the sand.  Whenever the water would come in he would giggle hysterically, it was so sweet to watch. 

This morning while James was getting dressed he took the washcloth from me and began to wash himself.  It was a bittersweet moment, knowing that he is gaining independence.  He washed his back (well, he did the best he could) and even made sure to wash his feet!  After washing up, James attempted to put his socks on.  This is a skill most kids don't master until they're four so the fact that he hasn't mastered it yet is not concerning.  We'll keep practicing and with his level of determination and resiliency he'll get it in no time!

Have a safe and fun Labor Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment